1898 Dame Mary Russell, Duchess of Bedford by Lafayette Photographic Studio

According to her Wikipedia article, she was an ornithologist and aviator.

From theesotericcuriosa.blogspot of 23 April 2010; a flaw in the upper left corber caused by a cracked glass negative was fixed and some spots were removed with Photoshop by gogm.

1898 Dame Mary Russell, Duchess of Bedford by Lafayette Photographic Studio theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com 23Apr10

The Victoria and Albert Museum had posted this image with the following note, "Court gown of ivory duchesse satin; corsage embroidered with violets, brilliants and Rhinestones, and draped on one side with Honiton lace, and corselet of gold and jewelled embroidery; petticoat made with panels of the embroidery, opening on one side showing cascades of lace; Court train of petunia velvet, lined ivory duchesse satin, made from the shoulders and turned over at one corner with velvet emroidery, same design as gown and large white plumes caught up with lace. The Honiton lace was made specially for this gown" (see: The Court Circular, 14 May 1898, p 410a)."

I can only imagine what she looked like in color.

Keywords:  1898, Lafayette Photographic Studio, Duchess Mary of Bedford, Russell family, Duchess, British, curly coiffure, tiara, feathered headdress, veil, scoop neckline, bertha, lace, quarter length full sleeves, down turned waistline, A-line skirt, under-skirt, floral bodice ornament, necklace, jeweled bodice, bracelets, gloves, feathered train

This site is for educational and information use. It is open for downloading and use without charge. I only ask that these images not be used for profit! I can be contacted at:  contactme@gogmsite.net.