From Richard Green that has this biographical note with the double portrait this came from: "John Huxley (1596-1661) was the son of George Huxley (1562-1628) of Wyer Hall, near Edmonton, Middlesex, and his wife Catherine, daughter of Robert Needham, Viscount Kilmorey. On 31st July 1626 he married Elizabeth Tryon, the daughter of Moses Tryon of Harringworth, Northamptonshire, the High Sheriff of that county. They had nine children. Huxley served as a magistrate for Middlesex during the Commonwealth (1649-53). Jonson’s pair of paintings hung in the main hall at Wyer until the house was pulled down in 1818.
The Huxleys and the Tryons were gentry with City connections. Moses Tryon, a Royalist, is recorded in 1638 as one of the wealthiest inhabitants of St Olaves, Old Jewry in London. George Huxley, a haberdasher, bought the medieval Wyer Hall from Sir John Leeke in 1609 and substantially altered it. Daniel Lysons described the house in 1795: ‘The house was rebuilt in the year 1611 by George Huxley, Esq. as appears both by the date and initials on the pipes, and the arms of Huxley over a chimney-piece in one of the principal rooms. An ancient door-way remains belonging to a former house, of which it is probable that the hall also was a part. It is sitted up with scrolled pannels, among which the rose and pomegranate, the devices of England and Aragon, frequently occur. In this hall are some good family-pictures. In an upper room are the arms of the Merchant-Adventurers, to which company it is most probable Mr Huxley belonged’."